Louisiana Public Health Institute Featured In Healthcare Journal Of New Orleans
The Louisiana Public Health Institute (LPHI) is a public health institute located at 1515 Poydras Street, Suite 1200 New Orleans, LA 70112. The institute champions health for people, within systems, and throughout communities. The CEO of LPHO, Joseph Kimbrell, was recently interviewed for the Healthcare Journal Of New Orleans. He describes the mission, goals, and focus areas of the organization.
Creation of a domestic scientific school / institute in the field of public health, combining the scientific direction for research in the field of urgent problems of public health and healthcare, the educational direction for the training of highly specialized personnel, the practical direction for providing suggestions for improving the functioning of the healthcare system in Louisiana, designed to ensure international competitiveness .
Improving the quality of education by improving the scientific, educational and methodological activities in public health in accordance with national and international requirements and standards.
LPHI health activities include epidemiological surveillance and intervention, the control and analysis of infectious and noncommunicable diseases, microbiological activities for public health, the analysis of health indicators and work in healthcare, the monitoring of food, water and public health safety, ongoing monitoring of air quality, preventive and special measures for the health of schoolchildren and students, and primary prevention and outpatient treatment.
Current focus areas
- Behavioral Health;
- Clinical Transformation;
- Healthy Communities;
- Health Services Research;
- Family Health;
- Tobacco Prevention and Control.
The main priority areas of LPHI are:
- study of state problems of public health and the laws of its formation;
- monitoring the way and quality of life of Lousiana, behavioral risk factors among various population groups, development of the scientific foundations for the formation of effective policies and strategies of regional systems
- healthcare, taking into account plans for the socio-economic development of Lousiana;
- the creation and use of innovative organizational and managerial technologies aimed at improving the quality of medical care and its equal accessibility to the population;
- monitoring of circulation, accessibility and satisfaction with the quality of health promotion services, preventive measures;
- social audit of health and the lifestyle factors of the working population influencing it;
- scientific substantiation of measures to preserve the health of older people and pensioners;
- development of science-based programs in the field of preserving and strengthening the health of the younger generation, the formation of health-preserving behavior;
- research in the development of the scientific foundations of health promotion and prevention of noncommunicable diseases;
- development of mechanisms for international cooperation and integration in protecting public health and combating infectious diseases;
- the development of professional medical communities.
Following the model of similar European institutes, the Louisiana Public Health Institute is currently called educational, as it is a center for preventive education in the field of public health at the scientific and professional level, in which the same professional staff is involved, which carries out operational preventive measures and processes information for needs scientific and technical research and projects in the field of primary health care or public health.